The Old Market Square
The beating heart of Toruń. It was established during the second stage of the city’s medieval development. At the beginning it was a trading square, where certain places were named after the goods that were sold there. The most representative place in the market – its western frontage (called the tournament square) – is where meetings of townsmen, games and knightly tournaments were held. The most important buildings in the Market Square include the Old Town Hall, which is one of the most outstanding examples of medieval architecture, the neo-Renaissance Artus Court and the 18th century Holy Spirit Church. In 1935 the Old Town Square was entered in the register of monuments. It was also placed under conservation protection as part of the historic urban layout of the Old and New Town.