St. James Church
In 1264, the New Town of Toruń was established to the east of the Old Town of Toruń, to find space for craftsmanship. The most prominent building in the south-east corner of the New Town Square was, and remains to this day, the Gothic Church of St James the Apostle. It was built as a basilica, with the use of two storeys and a gallery under the windows on the first floor, which rarely occurs in the Baltic lowlands. All the literature on the subject unanimously acknowledges the outstanding artistic importance of this church. The inner side of the choir belongs to some of the most beautiful works created in medieval brick architecture. This church has the richest sacral architecture in the lands of the former Teutonic state.